"Y.M.C.A" The Village People

 "Y.M.C.A"  The Village People

This song is a classic and almost if not all people have heard of it at one point or another. This song meaning might shock you though! The lyrics of this song is basically about celebrating a popular cruising and hookup spot for men! These men were apart of the gay culture where they would be rebellious of their christen Association. Many of the Village people apart of this band were also apart of this culture! I never knew that this is what the song was talking about growing up and to this day I'm so confused how we use it in most of our dances and yet I still didn't understand the meanings behind this song. It is quite interesting how this song could have such an impact that everyone knows and has heard this song. It may be because of the ability's to allow everyone to dance and everyone participate in an easy action of the YMCA with your arms. I still will always enjoy this song and the great memories it has brought me even though it has a completely different meaning and I interpreted differently. 


Comments

  1. Wow! That really is so interesting that the lyrics are not what anyone would think. It's amazing how when a song is super catchy and fun to dance to you don't focus on the lyrics as much. Maybe that's why not many people realize what the real meaning of the lyrics is. I love how you discovered what the lyrics mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember learning this song to perform it in my elementary school music class. I feel like they purposefully neglected to tell us the true meaning ha ha. We were always taught it was just about a gym for men. It's cool finding hidden meanings in songs, especially a song this popular!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment